Even though I’ve alway enjoyed cooking…cooking is the last thing on my mind most days. Like most people I know, my to do list is never ending so trying to find the time for meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking can be a struggle. Plus most recipes are catered to a family of 4 which means either I’m eating the same thing for 4 days in a row or food is going to waste. While I would like to think I’m a healthy eater, my eating habits had gone down hill the last few months with a busy schedule. After debating for quite a while, I decided to give Hello Fresh a try.
Why I Decided to Give Hello Fresh a Try.
There are quite a few reasons why I finally decided to give Hello Fresh a try. Here are some of the biggest reasons.
- It’s hard cooking for 1. And it is rarely enjoyable.
- I wanted more variety in my meals. I have a tendency to cook the same meals over and over simply because of ease.
- I’m constantly throwing away food. The majority of recipes make enough for 4 meals and after the 3rd day eating it in a row, I can’t bring myself to eat the same thing again. I also rarely use up condiments like dressings or even soy sauce before it expires.
- I wanted more balanced meals. Since most of the time I’m cooking for just myself, my meals are rarely balanced. Since it is hard to buy single servings of food, the more variety in the meal means more leftovers.
- I wanted to learn new cooking techniques. I’ve gotten into a cooking rut over the last few years and the best part of the recipes they send you is they take around 30 minutes to make. By branching out of my cooking comfort zone, I’ll learn new ways to cook meals quickly.
So What Did My First Box Look Like?
- Hello Fresh sends you 3 meals in one box. There are a couple days of the week you can choose from as the delivery date.
- The box is lined with a thick cotton lining plus two large ice packs to keep your food cold.
- The top layer of the box has the recipes and 3 bags with the separate the meals. The bottom layer, with ice packs is where you find the meat for your meals (I have the classic plan).
What Did I Think of the Meals?
- As I’m writing this, I’ve cooked 5 meals using Hello Fresh. All of the recipes have been easy to follow and take around the time listed on the recipe to make.
- The most important part, I’ve truly enjoyed every single meal that I’ve made so far. My first box in particular, I was blown away with how good the meals were.
- I was also impressed with the portion sizes. It truly makes enough food for two people.
So what are the Downsides?
- It’s a little pricy. The boxes cost $60 for the week, making each meal kit $20. Breaking it down, it is $10 a serving. However, I easily spend that much at the grocery store each week. If I factor in the cost of the food I’m throwing away, the price is worth it to me to have meals I truly enjoy.
- For 1 person, 3 meals a week is more than I need. I would be much more likely to get a box each week if I could choose the number of meals I wanted. Cooking 3 meals during the week isn’t always feasible, especially since I usually have leftovers.
So will I keep using Hello Fresh?
- Absolutely! Right now my plan is to get a box once or twice a month. This will give me more variety in my meals without having to find time to cook larger meals 3 times a week.
- The other advantage is I’m saving time. By not having to find recipes, create a grocery list, and go shopping I’m adding time back into my week. All of the recipes and perfect quantities are delivered to my door!
Want to give Hello Fresh a try?
- If you are interested in trying Hello Fresh, click on this link to get $40 off your first week! By referring a friend, I will get $20 off my next meal kit as well.
- For clarity, this post is not sponsored. This offer above is the referral program that Hello Fresh offers to all of their subscribers.
If you have any more questions, feel free to leave them below!